Thursday, June 04, 2009

Thoughts and Thursdays....

D-Day.

June 6, 1944.

On Saturday, it will be 65 years since that day.

I've always marveled at the immense courage and strength of the men and women of that time. Our nation has never really known any others quite like them. It was that courage and strength that I drew upon during my many long times apart from Stuart before we married. I often thought that if they could do it, so could we.

I've also wondered what life must have felt like during that time.

For some, nothing would have changed.

But for others, everything would have felt topsy-turvy...very different for awhile...maybe even forever. Things that were familiar would have felt like a distant warm-and-fuzzy memory in a world turned upside-down.

This song -- though not a true World War II song -- became very popular during the war. I guess in part from all the sweetly familiar scenes it brought to mind.

Simple. Lovely. And unforgettable.

Sometimes it's the simple stuff that offers so much hope -- hope that people will indeed be reunited one day and the world will return to some kind of sanity.

I pray for this hope for all the brave men and women who still serve our country.

* * *

I'll be seeing you
In all the old, familiar places
That this heart of mine embraces
All day through.

In that small cafe,
The park across the way,
The children's carousel,
The chestnut tree,
The wishing well.

I'll be seeing you
In every lovely, Summer's day,
And everything that's bright and gay,
I'll always think of you that way.
I'll find you in the morning sun
And when the night is new.
I'll be looking at the moon,
But I'll be seeing you.



No comments: