Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Mindful of Math

It's funny how my mind works.

Sometimes I feel incredibly logical, full of wisdom on a particular subject, ready to graciously, willingly, and generously divulge it to my offspring -- or any willing listener, really. Then other times I am a trapdoor with squeaky hinges and a broken lock, swinging open, showing the nothingness behind its opaque exterior.

Ever "been there, done that?"

Schoolwise, we're in the "home stretch." We're down to a few more math classes and a bunch more science units for Emily and some music for Edward....and that's it. That's the end of 6th grade and 2nd grade (respectively) for our two older munchkins.

I could say that helping Emily finish these particular math lessons will be a piece of cake...but that would be a bit of a stretch. Well, okay. It would be a flatout lie.

I'm not sure what happened really. I used to be "queen" of my math class....but lately I'm more like that trapdoor I mentioned above.

Emily asked me to help her with some math the other day. (I'll take this moment to add in that this wasn't just basic math. This is pre-algebra...with a side of trig and geometry. I'll pause to let the horror music finish. !!!) I was in the middle of three things, including making dinner and feeding the baby. I thought I could add in another... And then I picked up her math book and started trying to read the lesson. I reread the lesson. I looked at the examples. I re-reread the lesson and gazed intently at the examples. I gave up on the lesson and focused intently on the examples.

Nothing.

Nada.

The gray cells weren't budging. They were firmly asleep and hitting the snooze button over and over again. Or maybe it wasn't so much that they were "asleep," but that they had moved without leaving a forwarding address?

Either way, math was NOT in my mind...

I guess that's the way of things in life. We are constantly moving, redefining ourselves, adapting to our environments...whatever it takes to help us "keep on" in life.

And I firmly believe in the theory that being a mom does indeed take a quarter of your brain with each child. That quarter is reprogrammed to think and feel and remember all the things necessary for raising that child....all the things except for maybe...math?

But isn't that why she has her dad? *wink-grin*

1 comment:

Jadie said...

"I'll pause to let the horror music finish." ,well bringing children to this wonderful world did nothing with your incredible sense of humor!!!

Susie, I know there is still some math left in your brain. Somewhere deep... ;-)