Tuesday, June 16, 2009

As a Matter of Fact

I'm amazed at how soon the "will" of a baby develops and shows itself.

Well, I'm "amazed," typed in quotations...

Obviously, it's evident from birth in most babies, when they scream for their food and screech for a diaper change. But that's mostly involuntary, being their only method of communicating.

I'm talking about the eye-to-eye contact and grin of a baby who somehow knows he's doing something he's not supposed to be doing.

I can "hear" the swoosh of collective nodding going on out there from all those who have ever minded a child and who have "been-there-done-that." Yup. You know exactly what I mean, don't you?

So take our 9-month-old, Ethan.

Last month, at a mere 8 months old, he started to stand (slightly) in his highchair. I patiently (and gently) pushed him back down and said very calmly, "No. Sit." It was his introduction to the word "no," and I wanted to be careful not to overuse it and to show him what he should be doing instead. (Who's been reading her baby manuals, huh?)

Forty-seven times later -- in less than 15 minutes -- (I'm exaggerating, of course, but you get the point, right?), and I'm starting to use the hard "mom stare" along with the word "sit."

I'm thinking "firm, but gentle" thoughts.

He's thinking I'm uproariously funny and that this is a game...and a very fun one at that.

Eventually, the idea sunk in, and he sat his little tushy on the seat and finished his Cheerios.

Sigh.

I'm not new at this. I've already successfully navigated my two older kids through this early "show-of-the-will" time. But that was then...this is now.

So today when he started to stand up I told him the "facts of life." (No, not those facts.)

But these: I'm bigger, stronger, and smarter than him. So he's not getting away with anything...well, with much...well, okay, with that.

He grinned and giggled.

Sigh.

I might be bigger, stronger, and smarter...but he's so much cuter.

Now who's giving the *wink-grin*?

1 comment:

Jadie said...

Awww, Ethan is using his cuteness to getting things done his way hahaha. Smart boy already...

No serious, the only thing that helps in educating a child is 100 percent consistency. And with your wonderful children I know you know those tricks already Susie!