Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Unpacking a Year

So I spent last Tuesday evening unpacking our school boxes so that I could be sure we have all of our supplies for our new school year. And I have to admit it was very fun.

All sorts of fun literature books and science supplies -- including a microscope -- and new workbooks and music/story CDs and art supplies and blow-up globes and maps came out of the boxes. It's always interesting to see what new things they'll learn for the year.

Both kids were dying to help out, but I wanted it to be a surprise for them...to keep their excitement for starting school. I did forget and blurt out in amazement that part of Emily's science kit included actual bacteria. And, of course, that fact spread like wildfire from Edward, who'd overheard me, to Emily who came running down to "see" it. Hmm... I'm not sure what she thought she'd see.

But you gotta be excited when your kids are so excited about school.

Sure, the "honeymoon" will wear off after awhile, but until then, I'll treasure their enthusiasm.

3 comments:

carebear said...

I'm so excited for you! I know when my hubby decided on switching careers to the education field, I was ecstatic because we could share that passion together. Now...he's leaving with me all the grading and he is coming up with the lesson plans and activities. Poop head!
If you need any science ideas, I've got a TON! I always shared with my kids at school different activities...not just the ones from the classroom. I told them frequently to "go play science at home!"
And bacteria and microscopes...AWESOME! Two of my favorite things! I'm such a nerd!

Randi Jo :) said...

I love this time of year! :) hope you're having a great day - will reply to your email soon

Susie said...

LOL, Karen! You aren't a nerd! As I say to the kids all the time, learning is for life not just for the school...and you should always be excited about it! And science is one of those subjects that's always around us. :o)