Wednesday, March 28, 2007

"Bored" of Education?

How to Know Your Kid Is (Maybe) Bored in Math:

Our kindergartner is doing 1st grade math this year.

Not really a big deal. He did very well on the placement tests, and the school counselled us to consider a higher placement to keep him challenged.

He's doing very well in it and seems to be enjoying it, too, though at times I get the idea that he's actually bored and would like even more challenge.

He's just a very "linear thinker"...like his dad.

Traveling in the car a few days ago, he pointed to a speed limit sign and asked Stuart, "Daddy, does that '55' mean 55 miles per hour?"

Stuart told him indeed it did.

"Then doing the speed limit we'd be able to go 55 miles in an hour," his kindergarten brain reasoned.

*sigh*

I think I was at least 20 years older than him before I figured that out...

...I'm a slow genius. Maybe even a sloth with brains?

1 comment:

Greg said...

When I was in 1st grade I did the 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade math books that year. And look how I turned out!

Clearly your child is a genius..