Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Canon Fire

My parents' wedding, June 17, 1961
Pachelbel's "Canon in D"...

It's one of my favorite classical pieces.

A popular wedding song. One of my sisters came down the aisle to it. We used it in our wedding as the processional for my parents. I got to play it on my flute for our friends' wedding. I practiced it on our honeymoon since they were marrying a few weeks after us.

I remember the first time I heard it was on the film Ordinary People (excellent and very moving film, by the way). They actually sang words to it. I was so moved by it that I began a quest to find it. I didn't know about soundtracks yet.

Now this version by Trans-Siberian Orchestra has me visiting my blog just to hear the video playing.

My dad told a story about how much he liked the "1812 Overture" and would listen to his record of it with the lights off and the volume pumped up on his record player.

So dim the lights, light a candle, close your eyes. And fire away this "canon."

It's magnificent!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more! This was our song at our wedding. Years before that I also made a tape for my then to be husband. It's always been one of our favourites too!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, memories! We played this at our wedding as well when I came down the aisle in lieu of "here comes the bride". DH refers to it as "taco bell's cannon" (in jest of course). It warms my heart just to hear it even now as we are set to celebrate 11 years at the end of this month!