Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thoughts and Thursdays....

Maybe it's hormones...or maybe it's sleep deprivation...or maybe it's the economy...or a combination of all of above? But I just cannot seem to get into the Christmas spirit this year.

I know. I know. I say it every year, but each year seems a bit harder.

I always tell myself to start getting ready for it in October -- write our annual newsletter, finish Christmas shopping, dust off the holidays CDs and DVDs. But it's fully Autumn then and my mind is still on the beginning of school and pumpkins and colored leaves and Halloween and birthdays. There's no time to think about Christmas yet.

But still I've been thinking about it -- and praying about it -- and hoping it will come at some point. After all, our kids enjoy this time of year. They need to have that "Christmasy feeling" and see it as "the most wonderful time of the year," right? I certainly don't want to spoil it for them. Besides this is the time of year when "memories are made"...

Perhaps that's part of the problem.

We put so much pressure on this time of the year. So much of our hopes and dreams go into this one day that it begins to lose it's meaning. It's one day. The rest of the year of days are just as important.

And that's it. We know EVERYday is about making memories. Everyday is a one-of-a-kind, never-to-be-repeated kind of moment. In a day and age where we can rewind a video tape or push a button to go back a chapter, we forget that life isn't like that. We need to make the memories and warm-fuzzy moments now...not in the future when we have time or feel like it. What if God doesn't give us that time?

I've been reflecting on the fact that many families spend so much time watching movies and shows about other families having fun and cozy times together. They feel a certain warmth in watching them bond. Why not turn off the TV and do it themselves?

Looking back over this past year especially, I realize that's what it's about: Making memories together as a family of four before we became a family of five. (Did we succeed completely? Only time will tell when the kids are grown and returning to visit and the talk turns to "remember when?" stories will we know for sure.)

So back to my quandary: How to gain the Christmas spirit in time for the holiday while picking out the perfect Christmas gifts without breaking our bank account and bringing more stuff into our house and lives..........

According to all the e-mails I keep receiving "there's still time to get that perfect last-minute gift."

Hmm....

Wait a minute!! I've got all the time I need...all year, in fact.

That's what our kids want the most from us: OUR time -- memory-making time as a family. It's free and it's fun...and it's what Christmas is all about.

God sent His Son to be with a man and woman, to be a family. What's more Christmasy than that?

Christmas CD - $18
Christmas goodies - $10
Christmas stocking stuffers: $15
Spending time with our kiddos making warm-and-fuzzy memories and sharing fun time all year -- priceless

Think about it.

Excuse me while I run off to wrap gifts, bake some cookies, and tickle some kiddos. I think the "spirit" hit! *wink*

1 comment:

Mom Watch said...

Oh how I know exactly what you are feeling. We have decided that our family will focus on helping those around us have a wonderfully memorable Christmas this year. Turns out THAT seems to be the exact thing we needed to get us all in the spirit --and being more Christ-like. There is no greater blessing than working together as a family to help others--it's the best chickem soup for the soul out there. Hope your holiday is an extra special one this year--love the pic!!