Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

I remember seeing that above someone's desk at the newspaper where I worked years ago. It was a reminder to the reporter to keep to the facts and make things understandable.

While I didn't have it written above my desk, I did have it in my head.

It's a good reminder now in the craziness of the holiday season with the hustle and bustle of trying to make everything perfect...

Keep it simple, stupid!

It's not about money...or presents...or the perfect decorations...or the tree...or the cookies...or the cards/photos.

It's about remembering a quiet night in Bethlehem when a baby was born.

Maybe it's because I was so out of it by the time each of my babies arrived so I might not remember correctly, but it seems to me that it was very very quiet.

A hush. A calm. A stillness shattered only by the sound of a baby's cry.

Let's remember that this Christmas.

And hush. And be calm. And enjoy the quietness of remembering the first Christmas, where they had no tree, no cards, no presents, no money.

Just each other and the knowledge of a God who loved them and chose them to raise the Savior of the world.

Wow! Simple.

And pretty awesome, huh?

No comments: