Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Donut Ask Too Many Questions

While I'm on the subject of past memories....

I went into a Dunkin' Donuts years ago and was happily perusing the wide selection of flavors, trying to decide which one sounded most yummy, when I happened on the "plain jelly" one. I found it sounded less than appetizing when I considered what plain gelatin looks like. Besides, all the other jelly-filled ones had fruit names in front of the "jelly" part.

So I asked the donut clerk what flavor jelly this variety had in it.

"It's plain jelly," she said, looking at me as though I had three heads and "kindly" refraining from adding a "duh!" at the end.

"Yes, I know, but what sort of jelly -- cherry, strawberry, raspberry...." I persisted.

In her eyes, the number of heads on my body multiplied by a factor of 10. "Just plain," she repeated firmly, figuring I was dumb or at least hard of hearing.

I gave up and chose a cream-filled one. Less complicated and less likely to provoke the "Donut Nazi."

"Achtung! Achtung! Ve only serve de donuts vith plain jelly at ziss location."

Just plain scary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"No DONUT for you!"