Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mirror, Mirror...

I think how we perceive the world around us is formed early in our lives by our upbringing, our genetics, and even our personality.

But peers have a lot of influence on our thoughts and feelings, too, beginning at that magically age called "puberty."

It's like suddenly there are a thousand mirrors pointed directly at us, all of them with scrutinizing surfaces.

Still...

I've always been fascinated by mirrors.

Maybe it's because my grandmother has so many of them around her house, and it made her house seem enormous to me when I was smaller. It always reminded me of Lewis Carroll's story, Alice Through the Looking Glass... Was there really a whole other world located just beyond that thin piece of glass?

That said, I've never understood how the "Mirror" in Snow White knew that Snow White was the most beautiful. I mean, she was definitely lovely and very sweet, but most beautiful?

I was always taught that beauty is the eye of the beholder. It's how/what we perceive beauty to be...not necessarily fact or truth. What one person deems as beautiful might be considered homely or plain to another.

And that's okay.

People are always entitled to their opinions. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We can hold fast to our own opinions, while respecting the other "beholder's" feelings.

And think about it. If everyone did that maybe then our world would reflect a nicer place?

No comments: