Monday, March 31, 2008

More Monday Monday Musings

Happy last Monday in March -- the eve of April Fool's Day.

Another new month starts up tomorrow. Wow! The year's flying by already.

An eventful weekend in our household. Edward got his new glasses on Saturday and has spent the past two days looking very dapper. They'll take some getting used to, I think, but he's pleased with them (he cleans them every few seconds) and happy to be able to see far away.

So we're 4 for 4 in the glasses department now. Edward wonders if the new baby will need them, too. Let's hope not.

Emily is spending the today and tomorrow at the Goggleworks for her PSSA tests. She was extremely nervous beforehand, but as we went in one of her best school buddies, Madeline, ran up behind her and gave her a big hug. The nervousness evaporated. Quite an answer to our prayers!

So the countdown continues for Season 7 of 24. Let's see...only 9 1/2 months until it starts. Yeehaw! Sigh. Still, we have the other "Kiefer" items to look forward to, including his new movie and the 2-hour prequel for Season 7.

In other news...

Hmm...there's not much other news happening.

Stuart and I started to watch a movie I picked up at the dollar store last week. There was a definite reason this movie was only $1...and even then I was overcharged... I've never ever destroyed a DVD -- it was actually very interesting and fun to see how a disc is made -- but this movie was so insulting and vulgar that I took great pleasure in wrecking it and shredding the DVD inserts and promotional postcards "to send to friends" (as if! *snort*) that came with it. The movie's title? E-mail me, and I'll tell you. I'm not giving it any more presstime than it deserves...which is none.

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• Guernsey cows
• Nova Scotia’s seacoast
• having your caricature drawn
• dancing with your moon-shadow
• a personal note

* * *

Emily just finished a unit on embryology in her homeschool learning group science class. The course was taught by a woman who works with our county's 4-H educational program.

It brought back memories of my four years of agriculture class in high school when I was also a member of our school's FFA. It was a great experience to be a part of this group even though I didn't grow up/live on a farm. My rabbits were my project...not that I ever made any money with them.

Still, even though I wasn't a farmer per se, I had to do many of the farming lessons, learning about the various types of cows, sheep, chickens...and attending the annual Pennsylvania Farm Show. (I was even a member of the Farm Show's FFA band for two years.)

I enjoyed seeing all the animals and petting them. Among my favorite cow breeds is the Guernsey. They are one of the breeds that makes the best milk. And for cows, they are almost pretty.

You learn a lot about the actual technical stuff from books, like the size of the animals, their markings, lifespans, etc.

But my farmer classmates taught me all the other "unknown" stuff, like the fact that cows like to have their tongues pulled.

Okay. Okay. I'm normally a natural-born skeptic, but on stuff that I'm not completely sure of I cave and get a bit gullible...which tells you the rest of this story, right?

...

Let's just say that cows aren't really that keen on having their tongues pulled.

If you don't believe me...give it a try. *wink*

No comments: