Monday, March 17, 2008

Green Monday Musings

St. Patrick's Day 2005
Top o' the mornin' (and week) to you!

My "green" Monday greetings have nothing to do with finding energy alternatives (though I wouldn't mind a few bursts of new energy *wink*)...the green-ness is in honor of the day.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Being married to a genuine Englishman and having no real Irish ancestry (save a rebellious Scottish youth on my father's side who may have married an Irish beauty in the 1600s when his family moved to Ireland for a "few" years, giving us a "wee bit" of Irishness), we just enjoy joining in the merriment of the holiday. It holds no real significance for us except in the fun of wearing green and eating "green eggs and ham," or the more appetizing alternative: corned beef and cabbage.

Only a few more days until Spring officially is sprung. Not that the world is suddenly going to burst into a Disneyfied world of flowers and baby animals singing together, but the idea that warmer weather and more sunshine is on its way is extremely appealing this year.

The kids enjoyed an overnight visit with my parents this weekend, while Stuart and I went to a little couples' "shindig" at church. We were marveling at how quiet the car and house seemed without kids and then realized we weren't truly "kidless" when you take into account my growing bump (fondly nicknamed "Leech"). Still, this one is quiet...at the moment. *wink*

Filming begins again soon on 24. We aren't sure if they'll start with the prequel or the actual season (I'm guessing the former). Either way, it'll be VERY exciting. Only 9 1/2 months until the new season. *sigh* I'm not sure how long it will be until the prequel airs...but I'm sure we'll get the ol' countdown clock moving for that once we find out. Meanwhile, Kiefer did a few more shots for his newest movie, Mirrors, due out sometime later this year. Whoo-hoo!!

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• a weekend away
• pennywhistle music
• grandma’s piecrust
• stuffed animals
• a pint of green beer

* * *

When I was in college, I spent a semester in Harrisburg, doing an internship in our state government. I was part of a group of 12 students -- one from each of the state system universities -- to enjoy this interesting experience.

While I didn't mind it one bit, I found that living on a college campus was somewhat sheltering. I worked on campus, lived on campus, attended classes on campus, and ate on campus. I had a car so I would go out shopping occasionally, but for the most part I stayed on campus. And not being a drinker of any kind, I didn't attend parties. Besides, I was underage for the first year of my college years.

In Harrisburg, however, I lived outside the city, drove my car into the city for work, worked in the city, ate in various places inside and outside the city. It was a whole different experience for me.

I still didn't party or drink.

But when St. Patrick's Day came that year, our little group decided to visit a local bar that was hosting holiday festivities.

It was the first -- and last time -- I tried green beer. *grin*

It was fun to hang out with the group, but I knew I didn't need the beer to have a good time.

Still, it's fun to try new things, right?

No comments: