Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Stars and Stripes

Oh, my....dumb, dumb, and dumber.

I've been debating whether or not I should even comment on this on my blog, but the whole situation is swirling around in my brain so maybe typing something about it will relieve that?

Some (but not all) of you may have heard about Kiefer Sutherland -- my favorite-most actor -- being arrested for DUI. Hmmm... Not surprising really. The guy really does enjoy drinking too much.

Hopefully this will be a "wake-up" call that enjoyment of such should never ever ever include getting behind the wheel of a car afterwards. (You'd think he'd learn after being picked up and busted in September 2004 for the same thing!)

So now, because he was on probation, he's facing jail time...

Okay, okay. Maybe it'll just mean wearing "stripes" for a week or so. But, being completely selfish here, what about making 24??? (Ugh! You're such an excellent actor, Kiefer!)

The bigger question in my mind is: Why do it? Why blow his success with "having a bit of fun" like that?

Sure, he might enjoy the taste and the feeling of being uninhibited, but why seemingly all the time? Why, when he seems to be at an apex in his career, would he risk hurting his reputation?

Stuart told me there were men that he knew in the Royal Navy that got drunk all the time just because they liked it...it was what they did.

I'm not sure I can understand that. I'm not sure I want to understand that.

All that aside...

When I was in university, I had to take a course on journalism ethics -- I promise that is not meant to be a juxtaposition -- and one of the big topics that we debated was that of public figures. How much freedom does the media have in reporting stuff about their private lives? We went 'round and 'round on that.

I don't think I completely understood that topic until I worked for the newspaper.

I'm sure I'd still disagree with the prof on the degree to which a public figure's private life may be divulged. But another issue came up through that: no matter where you work or who you are...you represent someone/something besides yourself.

Kiefer represents the FOX network. He represents the show 24. He represents -- though I think he's completely separate from -- the character "Jack Bauer." He chose that the moment he signed his "John Hancock" to the paperwork offering him a job with 24 and later when he accepted a contract for $40 million over three years. He represents the 60+ movies he's made.

That said, he needs to be more careful how he lives his life in the public eye. And it's very public and very watchful.

Perhaps that puts a lot of stress on him, causing him to drink so much in the first place?

Hmm...then I guess it's time to choose a new line of work.

Of course, I won't stop enjoying his work. (I know from meeting him that he's a really nice guy!) And I'll still support him. After all, we're all sinful humans.

I might feel embarrassed for him and disappointed that he let his indiscretions get him into trouble (again)...that he didn't think before he got behind the wheel of a car...that he didn't remember who he is and what that means to the rest of the world.

And if I lived in L.A., I'd be joining the rest of his family, friends, and fans in kicking his butt around the block.

*grin*

Ah, well. Life goes on, and this too shall pass. I'm sure that's Kiefer's "Thought for the Day."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why celebrities, who have limos and drivers at their disposal, don't use them after a night of drinking. Maybe it's a point of wanting normalcy in their lives, but how is that any different from someone like me taking a cab home from a bar if I drink too much(besides the obvious differences between a limo and cab)? It's a matter of responsibility.

I was disappointed too to hear about KS. I think a Foote roadtrip to LA is in order to kick his butt around the block! ~Kelly

Susie said...

I'm with you, Kelly! I really hope this helps him make some better choices in life. :o)