Monday, April 20, 2009

Musing on a Moist Monday

Ethan in his new hat from Granny
Happy Monday to you! And a very rainy one here. But we're not complaining since the weekend was gorgeously sunny and warm, despite the prediction to be otherwise.

Okay. Okay. I couldn't resist the alliteration today. I tried...I really did. *wink-grin* But I did do "good" last week in veering from it, right?

Isn't it hard to believe we're nearing the end of April? I think it is. Sigh. Emily reminded me that April showers bring May flowers...and I suddenly realized that those flowers will be here soon.

Stuart tore down a bush this weekend. It was a huge, old bush that had decided to grow sideways into our frontyard -- basically taking it over. The front garden looks so much nicer now. He also mowed our "hay field" of a yard. It's funny how a little rain followed by a little sunshine can make the grass grow -- and fast.

Edward started soccer on Friday evening and, as predicted, was in heaven. He certainly loves this sport. His coach seems nice, very patient as he took 11 kids through the drills all on his own. Amazing really. He has practices on Mondays and Fridays with games on Sunday afternoons again. It'll be fun to see what Ethan thinks when he sees his big brother play this season. And Edward got his new team t-shirt. They're a dark golden yellow. He doesn't know what the team name is yet, but I'm sure they'll come up with something sporty. (Let's hope it's not "buttercups" or something similar. A co-ed U-8 team last season had a very creative name: "Silver Knights on Pretty Pink Ponies." Guess that's a good compromise? Maybe Edward's team could be the "Lightning Buttercups?")

We're looking forward to another exciting installment of 24 tonight. Last week's episode had my stomach in knots, and, by the end, I joined the myriads of others around the area yelling at our televisions. Ugh. It's just a show, I know, but it certainly can evoke some real emotion. *grin* I made myself a new flavor of pretzels last week: balsamic vinegar ones. Very nice. Not sure what variety I'll go for tonight, but I'll need something as it's sure to be another nailbitingly exciting episode.

Emily celebrated turning a half-year older last Wednesday. We had a little party for her in the evening, and it was interesting trying to figure out how to put 11 and a half candles on her cupcake. I don't think I didn't too badly, right? I was looking at photos from her birthday and then more recent ones...and it's funny how much a kid can change in a mere six months. It could just be her new glasses, but I'm not so sure.


Emily on her 11th birthday

Then on her half-birthday

Ethan also hit a new milestone: 7 months! And if confidence follows strength, he'll be up and running before too long. He loves to bounce in his "in-the-door bouncer." He's even taken to winding-up the cord and then picking up his feet to spin. I'll try to get it on video sometime. Still no teeth though his nighttime (mis)behavior keeps getting our "hopes" up. We tried some cereal puffs and discovered that he loves to chew.

We went to the historic Hopewell Furnace Village this past Saturday to celebrate Fala Day, or "Doggie Day in the Park," in honor of Franklin D. Roosevelt's favorite dog. It was such a treat to take Buster with us and join two friends and their two dogs. Even though it was hot, we all had a fun time, especially Buster who doesn't get to go for drives very often. Emily even entered him in the just-for-fun "SIT-STAY-COME" contest. She's been working with him at home...and this was a real test to see what he'd actually learned from her...which at home is LOTS but out at the park with a ton of distrations NADA. Still, he did get a ribbon for "participation."

It was fun to see all the people out at the park yesterday when I drove past on my way to the grocery store. It made me remember that Spring is indeed here...and Summer isn't far behind.

On that note, I'll bid you adieu for this gray and moist Monday morning! (Ooopsy.)

No comments: