Thursday, April 02, 2009

"Beary" Sweet


We're huge fans of the stuffed toys at Build-a-Bear. Who can resist the furry softness of the creatures you create?

I certainly can't.

I can't walk into one of those stores without wanting to choose, stuff, name, and take home all of them. It would make for a somewhat (more) crowded house, I think.

When I was a little girl, I had a stuffed frog named "Flippo." I got him for Christmas when I was 5. He went everywhere with me...to school, to church, to my friends' houses. He even hung upside down on my swingset (tied by his long legs) and protected me from bees and flies. He was my confidante...my best bud...my main squeeze (quite literally at night).

Anytime I got another stuffed toy I felt disloyal to him. But he "accepted" them, and they all got to sleep in bed with me. I couldn't resist their sweet furry faces. At one point my mother made me sleep on the inside of my topbunk bed. That way, if anyone fell out of bed it would be a "someone" with stuffing.

Memories are funny things at times, huh?

No comments: