Monday, November 17, 2008

Moseying by with Monday Musings

Happy Monday to you!

Can you believe it's almost Thanksgiving?

This coming weekend holds lots of fun activities, including my annual shopping trip to Frackville and...and...and 24 - Redemption with wings and fries!!! Oh, and there's also a national dog show and a bulldog-only show happening in our fair city, too. All exciting stuff, huh?

Well, the "li'l general" turned a whole two months old on Friday. Two months. I cannot believe how quickly time is going and how much he has changed in the past 60 or so days! He's so alert and loves to play in his bouncy seat and "read" books with us. We're trying to decide what to get him for Christmas. We've narrowed it down some, but it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to everything.

Speaking of Christmas, the "cat's out of the bag," so to speak. Edward admitted to Emily that he knows all about Santa Claus. *sniff* Another kid phase gone? He hasn't told us that he knows, but he has a knowing twinkle in his eye. Oh, well. Good thing he doesn't have to "believe" in Santa in order to attend the Santa Breakfast next month. (Kind of shallow of me, huh? *grin*)


And speaking of Edward... The "Orange Crush" delivered a crushing blow to win their final game of the season 5 to 3. It was an excellent game, and both teams played their hearts out. One mother was laughing, saying she wondered why they didn't play as well the rest of the season. But we all reminded each other that the team is made up of 6- and 7-year-olds. Edward didn't score any goals (though he tried and nearly did about three times), but we'd already decided to go out for ice cream to celebrate another great season.

And still speaking of Edward... He decided a week ago that he wanted to do another report for fun. This time he chose to do one on snakes. (I'll post it when I get it scanned.) I let him go on the computer to do his research, and soon enough a page of notes resulted on snakes in Indiana, complete with illustrations of: snakes in Indiana. One snake looked exactly like a birthday candle. I wanted to say it looked cute, but that word is passe at the moment...hmm...

Emily continues to practice for the Nutcracker. The soldiers had to "fight" the mice in practice last week. And fight they probably did. There are 55 mice in the show this year. I think the director is feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. Maybe she should include the part of "mouse wrangler" in the program? There's sure to be a need.


Speaking of Emily, she and I went out on a shopping date of our own this past Saturday. She had her birthday money from us to spend and decided to use it at Limited Too. Being my first time ever in that store, I was educated quite quickly on how expensive it is. Wow! Fortunately, we found several really cute pieces on the clearance rack, and she came out with a complete outfit...and some leg warmers for ballet. (More on those in a bit.) We shopped for a little longer in the mall and then headed to T.G.I.Friday's for dinner. It was a fun "girls' night" out -- the boys had their own good time at home -- and something we'll have to do again one day soon. *wink*

And still speaking of Emily, she decided that she'd like some leg warmers for dance class. Some of the other girls have them, and she thought they looked cute. I told her today how we used to wear them -- way back in the '80s -- as a fashion statement, scrunched down over our jeans. She looked at me with wide eyes and an opened mouth. I'm not sure if she thought I was cool for wearing something so fashionable, or if the way we wore them sounded completely silly to her. Either way, I thought it was funny that the fashions of "my day" have returned -- with a twist -- in time for my daughter to wear them. Wonder what they'll be like when and if she has a daughter one day.

Speaking of the '80s... I used my birthday giftcards from Target to buy the Back to the Future trilogy. We watched the first one last night. If you omit the language (of which there was much more than we remembered), it was a really fun movie...a little dated but with a great storyline and some fun humor. Our kids get very worried with conflicts in movies, even Disney ones where you know that everything will "live happily ever after," so they kept worrying that Marty wouldn't get back to 1985 in time to help Doc...and we kept reminding them that there are two more movies, and they're both in them...

Well, Monday is nearly over so I'd best post this so it's in time to be Monday musings. My brain has been full of fog lately...but I'm hoping to work on the new posts I've had swirling around in there. *grin*

Until then, I bid you adieu.

1 comment:

Jadie said...

Put the cat back Susie. Because the tradition of Santa or the Dutch SInterklaas keeps your kids brave...;-0