Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Swear, Kids Today!

The kids and I were sitting, eating lunch, when the topic of "naughty words" came up.

Emily mentioned that the father in the book she was reading used the "H" word. Edward wondered what the "H" word was...so I thought it best to tell him -- with a strong caution to never use it. Think: A Christmas Story.

"So what's the 'L' word?" Emily wondered.

I explained that there wasn't an alphabet of bad words...only some letters had bad words that started with them.

Both kids laughed and began to ask about each letter. Already knowing the "A" word (sigh-grunt-growl!), Edward asked what the "B" word was.

I told him it was another name for a female dog, decidiing to leave it at that.

"Oh," he said after a bit of thinking. "I know that one."

His sister and I looked at him. "You do?" Emily asked.

"Yeah," he said, confidently. "It's weiner."

"Of course, yes, exactly," we both agreed, with a wink and a smile.

But then he looked thoughtful again. "But that doesn't start with a 'B,'" he noted.

Hmm...would you look at the time...

4 comments:

carebear said...

My older brother helped me to learn some choice words...I got my mouth washed out with soap as a result. Sigh.

rachel said...

haha! that's great. curisoity!
francis reported back that kids use the s-word, the f-word, and the c-word at school. (ah...public school!) we asked him if he used any of them. he said no to s and f, but said he sometimes used the c word. mortified, i asked him what c word he was talking about. thankfully, he was talking about "crap", and not the bigger badder c-word! phew! i said that even tho he hears me say crap at home sometimes, it's not really appropriate for a kid to be using, especially at school. he said: "i know, mom, that's why I say "crud"!
hahahah!
you gotta hand it to them: kids are clever!

Mom Watch said...

Hahahahaha. That is classic. I hope you write that in his album to retell his kids one day!

Jadie said...

They didn't tell you you have to go throught the dirty word alphabet when you're pregnant right? ;-)...