Monday, February 11, 2008

Polar Monday Musings

A freezing-cold greeting to you on this freezing-cold Monday.

Temperatures plummeted yesterday from in the 40s in the morning to down near 0 in the night. The wind was howling all night long and now has calmed to more of a whistle. Our backyard literally looks "blown apart."

Exciting news over the weekend... The writers' strike should be officially over by this Wednesday! Yay! Yay! Yay!! Finally. We're not sure what that will mean for our particular favorite show since it runs on a different schedule than most shows. But maybe, just maybe, we'll get to see some form of it this year? Some online friends saw Kiefer Sutherland at an Ironworks/Rocco show in L.A. and said he looks really ready to go back to work.

In other news...

There isn't much "other news" happening around here these days.

Stuart and I began watching Season 1 of The X-Files. It's funny how different it seems 15 years later. Still, we're enjoying it and getting "creeped out" by some of the spooky storylines.

We watched Chicken Little with the kids this past Saturday night and were again pleased (and surprised) by Disney's ability to produce a decent kids' movie again. We avoided seeing it when it was out in the theatres because it was so hyped. But watching it on DVD (especially one that we borrowed for FREE from the library) was perfect!

Emily had a birthday party for our two bunny brothers, Earl Grey and Clementine, on Saturday. We went to her room for snacks, crafts, and some funny moments watching the bunnies race around her floor. Their red eyes made it hard to get some good photos without "glowing" eyes. But a fun time was had by all.

Now the countdown continues for Edward's birthday. Only 3 more days for him to be 6 years old. He's getting excited to turn 7 on Thursday. The plan is to go to New York for the day to FAO Schwarz and Macy's. He's hoping for some birthday money -- so, like Emily, he can buy a few goodies along the way. *wink*

Originally, we were going to the Empire State Building, but we didn't realize that Valentine's Day isn't the best day to try to visit that particular tourist site. Apparently, lots of people plan their weddings there that day. Go figure. Blame it on An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle, I guess.

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• pictures of faraway places
• solving a riddle
• a great teacher
• tic-tac-toe
• strawberries and champagne

* * *

I love viewing photos...especially photos from faraway places and the past.

I guess I inherited my paternal grandfather's shutterbug habit.

Years ago, Stuart and I traveled around Europe. I snapped photo after photo after photo. I think I had at least 12 rolls of film to develop by the end.

I was trying to capture life in the faraway places we were visiting. I was attempting to freeze a "moment in time" so that we could look back at the photos from that time and relive our trip.

I love seeing historical, touristy places...but I'd much rather visit a grocery store or wander through the shopping district of a town. That shows true life rather than tourist life.

I want to see the mothers walking their uniform-clad kids to school. Or an older man buying his groceries for the day. Or even the business people scurrying to their offices. Ordinary people living their ordinary lives.

I just love to "people watch" -- something inherited from my maternal grandmother and mother.

Some call it being nosy.

I call it...interesting. *wink*

No comments: