Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Monday's Musings as Tuesday Tidings

Happy Tuesday!

I'm a day late for my Monday Musings.

Life was a bit crazy yesterday after a "slightly" overly-busy weekend.

On Saturday, we went to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, to watch my nephew, Erik, play basketball and then to have lunch with both my sisters and their families for Edward's and Erik's birthdays. Then on Sunday it was church and Sunday School followed by a luncheon to help a missionary get back to her post. On Monday, Emily had her PSSA writing test for school, and Edward had been up the entire night-before...very sick after eating way too much at a missionary luncheon. All this after Stuart spent Thursday, Friday, and Saturday fighting the effects of food poisoning gotten from a "free" lunch at work. Ugh!

I'm happy to report that life is mostly back to normal today. Both school and work have resumed. And I think I'm mostly caught up on laundry. So there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Well, the writers' strike is officially over, but our beloved show, 24, isn't coming back until...next January! Argh! All that hoping and waiting.... *sigh* Oh, well. We'll have to make do with other shows and movies until then. And I'm just about to start Book #15 in my own Jack saga. We decided that Jack is really Odysseus from Homer's The Odyssey. *wink* Maybe so.

* * *

A little post-President's Day puzzler for you from Stuart's Cranium page-a-day calendar:

How many of the six U.S. presidents named James can you name?

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• cups and saucers clinking
• a mantle with knickknacks
• sewing a quilt
• pizza from a wood oven
• the smell of library books

* * *

I love the smell of books.

Go into any bookstore, and you get that paper/bookcover/cardboard smell. Or even a college campus bookstore, with all those textbooks. Book-smell overload.

When I worked for Highlights for Children, they had a storeroom filled with the books from the Boyds Mills side of the company. I always enjoyed going in there to look for something. Paper/cardboard/ink/glue...whatever it was...the books always smelled good.

Then there's the library, especially an older library with lots and lots of books.

It's not a musty smell. Just a pleasant, warm smell of something familiar. The smell of a new adventure.

I cringed when I first read about electronic books. Would that book-smell be lost forever on future generations? How would they understand it if they didn't have a book to hold and page through? It made me sad to think about it.

But that's still the future.

I think enough people are like me and still enjoy the feel and smell of books enough to keep the real thing around for awhile yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'll take a swing at it. Here goes nothin!

Carter
Garfield
Madison
Monroe
Polk
Buchanan

I think I got four out of six. The last two were guesses. How'd I do?

Anonymous said...

By the way, I LOVE the smell of books too. It's why I avoid bookstores - my willpower just collapses! The kids think these new electronic readers are the coolest ever, but I ask them what they will do when the power goes out?

A close second to the smell of books is the smell of leather shoes. In Rhode Island there was the shoe cobbler, who repaired the leather shoes, and I used to love the smell of the leather and the polish and the antiquity. But you don't repair shoes anymore, you just throw them out and buy new ones, so that industry and that smell is going by the wayside.

Susie said...

100% A++, Elizabeth! You got 'em all!

And I'm glad you love the smell of books, too! And leather? My mom said when I was a toddler I used to fall asleep in her closet on all of her boots and shoes...I guess leather was a comforting smell to me back then.