Monday, January 29, 2007

More Monday Musings

A very frigid day here in W. City. Time for some more Monday Musings.

* * *
January is winding down. Hard to believe, huh? The year feels like it's whizzing by. And harder still to believe ol' chub-cheeks (above) is going to be 6 on Valentine's Day! Egads! Where does the time go??

* * *

I finally sent out one of my children's stories for consideration at a magazine publisher. I haven't done that since I lived in England. It's such a time-consuming process, I guess I just gave up, knowing that I enjoy writing no matter what happens. I'll let you know how it goes...when I hear back in 6 months.

* * *

In honor of my hubby -- who still isn't feeling well today -- I've decided to include some of the haikus he and his co-workers have written to alleviate the monotony.

In honor of a helpline:
This code had no price.
It has now been updated.
You may quote it now.

In honor of another co-worker's new baby born today:
Dave had a baby.
She is not named Jorgina.
There will be diapers.

In honor of tonight's 24 show:
Today is Monday.
Jack Bauer is on TV.
Will he shoot a thigh?

* * *

Note the new quiz on the side. I had a hard time fitting it in the template...so forgive the odd shape of my results. You can click on the link at the bottom of it to see "what kind of dog" you might be.

* * *

From my online daily calendar:

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• a dramatic sunrise
• Post-it Notes
• a clever turn of phrase
• vintage tractors
• the bridges in Japanese gardens

* * *

I haven't seen that many sunrises in my lifetime...though it is my very, very favorite-most time of the day when most of the world is still sleeping and there's a "hush" over everything.

Just before I moved home to Swindon from Brighton, Stuart and I tried to see the sun rise at Beachy Head, the high cliff-like point on the coast of England. We called the local weather line and listened to hear what time it would occur... He picked me up from my flat around 4:30 a.m. when it was still rather dusky outside, and we headed out. When we got there it was foggy and cloudy. We waited for about an hour...but we never actually saw the sun.

In August of 1994, we went to Europe to travel around the countries and spend some time together. Our first stop was Cherbourg, France. We took the overnight ferry across from Southampton, England. I had asked Stuart if we could go to one of the beaches in Normandy since it was the 50th Anniversary of D-Day. We arrived at Omaha Beach, just as the sun rose above the horizon over the beach. It was haunting...especially when I envisioned the soldiers coming ashore where I stood some 50 years earlier.

1 comment:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

I am a German Shepherd. According to the test...

"You are extremely intelligent. You're fiercely protective with your friends and family whom you are completely devoted to. You are always trying to solve problems no matter how impossible they seem."

Next in line was a Siberian Husky. I am quite pleased to brag that "poodle" was at the very bottom of the list and got no percentage whatsoever!

Thanks for sharing! Many Hugs!